Dec 24, 2012

12 Things To Be Grateful for in My Life

Merry Christmas Eve to everyone!! I always do a countdown to my favorite Christmas songs on facebook.  I also for the past two years have signed up for challenges on Personal Excellence.  http://personalexcellence.co/ which has lead me to the blog post.  
I know it's not Thanksgiving, but really do we need a special occasion to be grateful or thankful for people and things in our lives?  I think everyday should start off with us thinking positive and being grateful for our many blessings.  Sometimes life can get us down and we have to search deep in our souls for things to be thankful for and blessings can sometimes be in disguise.  With this being said,  I would like to post the 12 things I am grateful for.  Why not 10?  Well, this is 2012, so humor me and I will go ahead and post 12 blessings I am counting for this year!
1.  I am grateful everyday for my two gorgeous daughters, 10 years old and 6 years old. They are a blessing everyday and every year, not just 2012.  However, I feel they must be added first above anything else.
2.  I am blessed to have the few people in my life that love me unconditionally, such as my best friend since diapers, her family, my select few family members.  My immediate family all have passed away, so I don't take family, blood or not, for granted.
3.  I have been blessed with excellent health.  Not from trying, nor from the horrible habits I have had picked up over the years and thankful have gotten rid of quite a few.
4.  I have been blessed this year as far as my home that I inherited from the passing of my grandparents whom raised me.  I had gotten behind in taxes due to above mentioned bad habits and had to set up payment arrangements with the courthouse.  When I say set up payment arrangements, I mean, the lawyer sets them up regardless of my financial situation and I sign the agreement.  Although, I struggled with the arrangements and on certain months could only send in a payment of what I had, this past year, I managed to get my back taxes caught up.  This was a huge relief to me because I grew up in this house and own it as well as 2.5 acres of land.  I rent it out, but the thought of losing it was devastating to me.
5.  I have been blessed to meet over this past summer someone whom I now consider one of my dearest friends.  He is very intelligent and although we've had ups and downs as far as our views of the world, he makes me rethink things and all and all, he makes me want to become a better person.
6.  I am so grateful now to be working on payments to get my drivers license back.  I realized this is a privilege and not a right I have.  So, now that my back taxes are caught up, I am very glad I can work toward the goal of driving again.
7.  I am thankful for the small town I was raised in and still live in.  Small being the population of around 300 people.  It can be trying at times because everyone knows everyone and I'm kin to the majority.  It is a gorgeous town and the New River runs through the town.  Over the past few years it has become a wonderful, well known place for people out of state to come and catfish.  A small town sitting on a mountain in Southwestern Va. and beautiful.
8.  I count as a blessing the fact that I turned 36 on my birthday, November 22, Thanksgiving Day.  I don't feel 36, don't look 36, and so far have had a wonderful 36 years of life, the good and the bad.
9.  Not to toot my own horn, but I am also very glad that I am somewhat very intelligent.  I have no trouble learning and remembering what I learned.  Whether it be books or street smarts,  I am blessed with a pretty good mind.
10.  I must add to this list,  I am thankful for the things I own that can't be replaced.  I don't mean material things because I don't own a lot of wonderful technology nor cared to.  I mean, I have my hope chest my uncle made me in 1992 and carved my name in it.  My best friend's husband has made me jewelry boxes from wood. I suppose this number should state I am grateful that I grew up pretty poor and learned to value things I do have.  I also learned what not to place value on.
11.  Since I did mention at the top of this blog, this would be about 2012, and I have only spoken in general of blessings, I will reflect this number and the last on this past year.  I am very grateful I had the means to take my girls on a family vacation to Pigeon Forge, Tn. for a weekend in June.  This is something I hadn't been able to really afford to do with my 6 year old and she had a blast.  It was a nice vacation and every minute spent with my girls and other family was a blessing.
12.  Last, I will focus on 2012 again.  I feel grateful that although, of course, financial struggles have occurred, the economy wasn't all it should be, and money is tight, I have had all I need and want.  Not only myself, but my girls have had all they need and what they want.  So, 2012 has been a nice year as far as all of our activities and I am so thankful I was able to get them the Christmas they wanted.  I was raised that Christmas was about the birth of Christ, it's more important to give than to receive, and all the moral lessons that come with the Holiday.  Still, to see my girls happy and to get the few things they do ask for straight out, makes me very happy.  I'm sure there are children who receive far more than my girls and I know there are children who receive nothing.  I wish I had the money to help a lot of children, but I don't at the moment and can't help but be thankful that my children once again will have a wonderful Holiday Season.
So here is my list of things I'm grateful for and the many blessings I have.  A couple, I did have to think about.  As I said, I would like to start a new tradition of waking up each day and listing one thing I am thankful for.  It's much more inspiring than complaining about the things I don't have. 
Merry Christmas Everyone or however you celebrate the holiday season, even if you don't celebrate, may everyone have peace in their hearts!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments and feedback are very much appreciated....