Jan 31, 2013

La Douleur Exquise

Teetering on the edge of 'us'.
Even with our dubious start.
Proclaiming my love to only you.
Whispers of pleasure, longings
no other lover will hear.
Time spent laughing,
penetrates my thoughts.
Conversations replay in my mind,
it's madness.
Disturbing how you leave me
so unsure, so unclear.
Knowing what 'we' share
is magical.
How angry words spoken
didn't tear me from you.
You are as much
a part of my life as air.
Wish I hadn't already seen
how with no hesitation
you can turn, walk away
from me.
Saying there is no 'we', 'us',
is devastatingly harsh.
                                  @donetta sifford 1-31-2013
                                      
http://writeonedge.com/2013/01/write-at-the-merge-week-5/   

This week, I give you a French phrase (you are not required to use the phrase verbatim, but you can) and a photograph:
La Douleur Exquise (French): The heart-wrenching pain of wanting someone you can’t have.
When I came across this word I thought of “unrequited” love. It’s not quite the same, though. “Unrequited love” describes a relationship state, but not a state of mind. Unrequited love encompasses the lover who isn’treciprocating, as well as the lover who desires. La douleur exquise gets at the emotional heartache, specifically, of being the one whose love is unreciprocated. ~ Via Pamela Haag on BigThink.com





5 comments:

  1. Ouch. There's no unknowing something like that, is there? Much though you might want to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh the pain in watching someone walk away when you thought you were an us. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is no us. Such a harsh thing to hear when the heart wants it otherwise. Thanks for linking up, Donetta, and welcome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It is a hard thing to hear. Thank you for the warm welcome. Enjoyed this very much.

      Delete
  4. Realizing "us" is one-sided is a particularly devastating type of heartbreak. The future has already taken seed and must be uprooted and re-imagined. I enjoyed the emotion behind this.
    ~Angela

    ReplyDelete

Comments and feedback are very much appreciated....