Feb 19, 2013

I Cannot

How I despise giving up.
Pride, ego, plain arrogance,
or a character flaw unshaken.
Even now as my mind screams
let you go, and for once
my mind and heart agree,
I cannot.
Talking it over and over
until my words have began
to exhaust themselves.
I'm undermining my thoughts.
Trying to remember our first,
first conversations, first laughter,
first kiss, first time I knew
I loved you.
I cannot.
Could you please give up?
Have no more talks about it.
Let go before we've drained
all the happiness, to leave
only bitterness between us.
Perhaps you would remind me
of our first dialogue.
Make me laugh again.
Remember for me the sweetness
of our first embrace, kiss.
Because I cannot.

@ donetta sifford 2-19-2013

http://www.trifectawritingchallenge.com/2013/02/trifecta-week-sixty-five.html

EXHAUST (transitive verb)
1a : to consume entirely : use up <exhausted our funds in a week>
  b : to tire extremely or completely <exhausted by overwork>
  c : to deprive of a valuable quality or constituent <exhaust a photographic developer>
2a : to draw off or let out completely
  b : to empty by drawing off the contents; specifically : to create a vacuum in
3a : to consider or discuss (a subject) thoroughly or completely  

13 comments:

  1. You have perfectly, beautifully described that moment when you must do the one thing you hate.

    In this case it was giving up.

    Sometimes it's better to walk away while the memories are still good, before the bitterness sets in too deep to say it was fun.

    I adored this piece.

    And the word prompt 'exhaust' fits it perfectly.


    I think this was a portrait of an exhausted romance.


    Truly, thank you for this post~

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a lovely, poignant piece. It hits very close to home for me. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such conflicting emotions here. I especially like the line, "Make me laugh again." Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you've couched that moment as "giving up" -- it certainly feels that way sometimes, and it does seem like a terrible thing to do. I despise giving up too. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The first is usually the best. At least in my experience.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is both sweet and sad. I like it very much (:

    ReplyDelete
  7. The cycle of a relationship nicely crafted.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It does feel like giving up when you realize it's over. And the brief references to pride and ego. Yup.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those firsts can be such bittersweet memories. Even after more than 30 years, I wonder about what happened to my first love.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Let go before we've drained all the happiness"... So lovely, so sad, so difficult to do. Very well written. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The conflict comes across well. I liked the pull between hanging on when you know you should let go, and struggling to remember what held you together in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aw, when you cant' remember...that's when you know the relationship's in trouble. Nicely written! :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments and feedback are very much appreciated....