Feb 26, 2013

Illusions






Riding around with the bass deep,
low, echoing through the streets.
Time was an illusion we painted,
with no tomorrows because we
never slept, so our yesterdays
were never over yet.
Serious times were just a laugh.
Turning our dreams into forever.
How could your life be so complicated,
confusing before you turned 21?
No, that's not the question.
With a smile as you turned up your beer,
maybe it seemed you were going around
and around in circles, in this town.
We touched our lips together,
only to grin at the silliness of it all.
Things took a turn for the worst.
Though your laughter still haunts me,
the clown even when I almost died.
Still we spent those summer nights,
in a haze of drinks and highs.
People who's lives you touched
with just a sentence or a look,
they all want to know you, but don't.
Why should they, when I can't even
recall how it is you stood by my side
telling your best friend to wake up.
Being a father was the most important
thing that he would ever have in this world.
Watching over me so he could work.
Watching over me so I didn't give in to insanity.
Would anything be different now?
Could my dreams still haunt me with you here?
So much has happened in 10 years.
Did you just get tired of dreaming or
tired of the days and nights running into one?
She'll never know how beautiful you were.
I could try to plant your memory in her mind
everyday and she still won't know you.
Nobody knew you.
Had we known, we could have found a way
to save you, change your visions into reality. 

6 comments:

  1. Do any of us really know another person, no matter what age we are at? Probably not. This is a beautifully written poem Donetta, thanks for sharing it. :<)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was so intriguing and so...I think the word is haunting. Lovely write!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much. For a very close friend, may he r.i.p.

      Delete
  3. This is really haunting. I especially like "we/never slept, so our yesterdays/were never over yet." Great lines!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Haunting" is a great word for it, like Bee says. I was especially touched by "So much has happened in 10 years" through to the end. "I could try to plant your memory in her mind / everyday and she still won't know you" -- painful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How heartbreaking, and beautiful. "Did you just get tired of dreaming or
    tired of the days and nights running into one?" Yes.

    ReplyDelete

Comments and feedback are very much appreciated....