Feb 26, 2013

Old Time Wisdom

Doesn't it seem the elder ones
always know what to do?
Raised by my grandparents,
I can count on one hand my trips to the hospital.
People today forget simple things,
things they would find me insane for doing.
Such as the time, I was stung by a bee,
my memory is vague, too young to recall
what type it was. 
Seems I can remember that burning though.
My grandfather pulled the stinger out
while my grandmother mixed baking soda
with water and used a butter knife to
doctor my swollen foot up.
Pulled the burning right out, 
up and running again.
Also have a memory of being so young
with a croup cough I don't remember 
being that bad.
My grandmother took a tablespoon,
poured a small amount 
of my grandfather's brown bourbon in it.
She used sugar to doctor the taste down.
Taste buds still know that taste 
of a slight burn but terrific sugar.
Like magic the coughing was gone.
Sure she done other things 
that my mind doesn't bring forth.
I do remember both my girls
having painful sounding coughs.
My grandmother had long been deceased.
As I gave them their breathing treatments
prescribed to them and held them 
in a bathroom full of steam formed
from hot water running, I 
rocked them back and forth 
wishing I had held onto my grandparent's wisdom.

@ donetta sifford 2-26-2013


1
a : an eminent theologian declared a sound expounder of doctrine by the Roman Catholic Church —called also doctor of the church
b : a learned or authoritative teacher
c : a person who has earned one of the highest academic degrees (as a PhD) conferred by a university
d : a person awarded an honorary doctorate (as an LLD or Litt D) by a college or university
2
a : a person skilled or specializing in healing arts; especially :one (as a physician, dentist, or veterinarian) who holds an advanced degree and is licensed to practice
b : medicine man
3
Please remember:
  • Your response must be between 33 and 333 words.
  • You must use the 3rd definition of the given word in your post.
  • The word itself needs to be included in your response.
  • You may not use a variation of the word; it needs to be exactly as stated above. 
  • Only one entry per writer.
  • Trifecta is open to everyone.  Please join us.

13 comments:

  1. I read this twice... a lovely piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so tender and beautiful (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Truly...we should never forget the wisdom of the past generations.

    Lovely write. I enjoyed this.

    Thank you~

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful. It makes me think of some of the home-made remedies I was subjected to as a child (cod liver oil for sore throats was the worst!) Times have changed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Certainly worth holding onto some things. Lovely nostaligic piece.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a wonderful piece, filled with memories of the love you recevied. It sounds like you are giving the same. You've just got to remember the bourbon! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice piece. I love the nostalgia. Simple remedies are so often the best or at least the memories that accompany them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perfect. I still use some the old remedies. This reminds me why.

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is just SO SO SO very beautiful. thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautifully woven around memories-a lovely piece:-)

    ReplyDelete

Comments and feedback are very much appreciated....