May 25, 2013

No Accident





"Loved your stories about getting each one wherever you were stationed and you had so many. I only wanted to watch the doves fly. It wasn't an accident, I broke your sand dollar!"



On now to our weekend challenge.  This weekend we are asking for a thirty-three word confession.  You're free to write non-fiction or fiction or to blur the lines in between.  We just encourage you to get creative and give us your best.

This was done for the Trifecta challenge above.  I was probably around 4 or 5 years old and my grandmother had me with her visiting her brother who had been in the military. His children were grown.  Huge house. Wonderful toys, such as a train set in the basement, and many other things he collected.  One collection being sand dollars he collected at different places he was stationed.  Him, his wife, and my grandmother were discussing religious purposes of sand dollars and how if cracked open, doves flew out.  This was so cool to me but my granny wouldn't let me touch it and my uncle seemed a bit snobbish to me, so while they were in the other room, I decided to break one in half and watch the doves.  I cracked it and sure enough 4 small white dove shapes came out, they did not fly, and then I realized I would get a whipping.  So I tried to put it back together but the doves wouldn't fit right, I ended up breaking it worse and of course they appeared in the room.  As I stood there red faced, I told them I had on accident knocked it off the table.  Looking back, now that I have two children, I realize they all knew the truth anyway.  He passed away before I ever told him how much this bothered me that I had lied to him.   3-25-2013

11 comments:

  1. Wow. And I thought the confessional was great. Thanks for the backstory!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the story beyond the confession. It's funny how as children, we think the spiteful act will get back at the person and make us feel better, but all it does is haunt our minds for life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Children have the weight of the world on their shoulders sometimes. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. awww - he knew and he forgave - and now you have purged. Good story

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was so precious because, as adults, they had to realize they created that curiosity. You needed to know. And you taught me something I never knew about sand dollars. Now I want to break the next dried one I find open...

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so strange, the things that stick with us from childhood. This is a great piece.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't know about the doves thing before this. Thanks for teaching me something new, and for sharing your confession.

    Also thank you for linking up! Please don't forget to return for the voting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I broke a few myself, trying to find the birds inside. Eventually I did, but it took me more than one to get it right ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't know there were dove shapes inside. They may have laughed about your mischief later. At least you made a true confession. So far no one has really made a self wrenching confession which I didn't expect anyone to do. You get one of my votes for actually making a confession.
    A friend of mine's child stayed with me at times and I had a pet bird that was very tame. She was in the room throwing a paper cup at it to get it to come to her. She was popping her head out the room confessing she wasn't throwing the cup after each throw. Luckily mom came and retrieved her after the third throw. Bird was easily outwitting her five year old self.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, the things children will do. Luckily I was afraid of my great aunt's pet bird. lol. I am 36 and that incident is one of my most vivid, I suppose because my granny was so religious and absolutely no lying. Later on I also learned my great uncle, Ferd, was not a snob at all. Children have a way of telling on themselves. Most adults too. lol. Thank you for comment and vote!!

      Delete
  10. Great story. Sand dollars hold a certain mystique for me as well. Great story.

    Barbara @ allmylivesnow.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Comments and feedback are very much appreciated....