Jul 21, 2013

If Memory Serves Me

painting by Andrew Wyeth



for you see, my dear,
as i await death's arms
it is not heaven's light
that flashes in my mind.
what keeps me patient
and smiling are memories
of youth long ago, the year
i bought my bike, despite
my mother's worried voice.
ventures of riding unclothed
through the fields, moon
bathing me in it's softness.
those were some of my
best days, before marrying you.
ah, our life together brings joy
to my heart as i prepare 
to part this world, but
those restless nights of summer
hold me hypnotically content.

@ donetta sifford 7-21-2013

Written for The Mag 178




10 comments:

  1. A lovely reflection on a life well lived.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absorbing and rather moving...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What, another bloke regretting marriage?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. the memories and visual photos in our minds is what life is all about...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely - oh the contentment of best memories!
    Anna :o]

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the nostalgia, very beautiful =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful memories reborn in deaths wake....a beautiful write! Love this! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Comments and feedback are very much appreciated....