Aug 5, 2013

Come and Go






Foolish.
Keep replaying it over and over
in my mind, trying to decipher
the moment my feelings changed.
Weak.
My reasoning sounds absurd and weak
even as I try to explain, I'm not being
evasive on purpose, everything seems surreal.
Uncertain.
You made me feel unsure of myself.
Puzzling over why I wasn't quite good enough.
Looking back, it seems clear to me, 
you wanted cryptic words between us,
left dangling in the air for me to misunderstand.
Vague.
All of the pleading, questioning, crying are
silly somehow to me, when two months ago,
the matters of my heart were life and death.
Clarity.
Funny how uncomplicated we become.
The realization that you could forget me,
exclude me from your life, love another,
was the slap in the face I needed to open my eyes.
I had been squeezing them closed,
not wanting to see you turn from me.
Openness.
In all fairness, it was I who pursued you.
Suddenly, the unsettling course of our future
doesn't bother me, deep down in the bottom
of my soul, I see now, I can love you as a friend.
As I would any other, and friends come and go.

@ donetta sifford 8-5-2013  

Written for:  Trifecta 




15 comments:

  1. Being able to let go is the first step toward moving forward. Easy to say/advice, harder to do. You did a good job relating the pain and disappointment of not finding love where you had hoped you would.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny how the simple things in life are the hardest to follow through with when it comes to love. Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. It's hard to let go, but we have to or we stay stuck in an unhealthy one-sided love. I was there many years ago, but my foolish heart wouldn't allow friends. I had to sever ties completely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by. Even after posting this, I find that being friends isn't all that healthy either, at least for my feelings. :)

      Delete
  3. People do grow apart. Where does the love go? I'm not smart enough to know. But letting go is ultimately the answer. Knowing that though, doesn't make it hurt any less. Nicely structured, Donetta. Good job :))

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could relate to this. I love how you've showed the gradual evolution from beating yourself up to where you understand yourself better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the slow work-up to acceptance and understanding. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much. It is slow work trying to understand situations for how they are, rather than how you want them to be. lol

      Delete
  6. I could absolutely relate to this. Letting go is damned hard work, but necessary. The'slap in the face' - yes, I think we've all been there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is beautiful, poignant and so relatable. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Moving, and it sounded positive to me. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A situation many, if not all of us, can relate to. Well done. I like how you talk yourself through it until you come to a necessary realization.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's such an emotional roller coaster trying to disentangle yourself from someone you used to love who no longer loves you. So much easier in the abstract than in the messy reality.

    Loved these lines: "I had been squeezing them closed,/ not wanting to see you turn from me." Ouch. And so familiar...

    ReplyDelete
  11. The cryptic words open for interpretation line really resonated with me. Nicely captured. Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been there-and you've described the process perfectly. I love the ending-that friends come...and go. That was the point I knew I was going to be ok. This was gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

Comments and feedback are very much appreciated....