Sep 23, 2013

Selfish Love Is Still Love



The Moth and the Lamp, Cesar Santos



Barely hanging
to the flicker of love
we shared before.
It was selfish, impatient,
filled with stressful demands.
All the things I am inside.
Drawn to you
by the same destructive
truths your life dangled from.
Many times you left me
burned, confused, torn, and saddened.
I held on knowing you'd return.
This time I'm finally sure.
Sure that you're not coming back.
Hope dims and knowledge
doesn't give me strength
to let go, just yet.
We shared our love.

@ donetta sifford 9-22-2013
Written for:  The Mag



8 comments:

  1. I think a more powerful ending might be achieved by stopping after the words "Hope dims and knowledge doesn't give me strength to let go, just yet." ? The last line feels a tad superfluous, perhaps, after such an emotional piece ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I wasn't sure about the last line when I added it. I was unsure if ending it with 'just yet' needed more, and after re-reading it today, I believe the last line should have not been added. Thank you for your feedback. It is very much appreciated! :)

      Delete
  2. Great poem. Words are compelling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope it gets better for you much sooner than later.

    ReplyDelete

Comments and feedback are very much appreciated....