Nov 22, 2013

Shapeless Memories

   

Smelling the musty paper that allowed
the scent of lavender to still tickle my nose,
I felt like a child pretending while grown-ups
sipped tea and spoke of the weather.
Holding the postcard to my chest,
I imagined a lover far away that missed me.
Though the words I could not read,
in my mind the scribble took form.
Shaping into beautiful handwriting,
announcing, "For my dearest love,
time is cruel to keep me from you."
Simple, elegant, straightforward,
just as a man should be.
Hearing my children stir, 
I placed the note carefully back
just as I had found it, with the black
penny postage of Queen Victoria's profile
facing up, sternly, the way I remembered
my own mother being.  
Sifting through her collections made her seem 
softer in my memories. 

@ donetta sifford 11-22-2013

Written for: The Mag






4 comments:

  1. "My Constant Thoughts" has been included in the Sites To See for this week. Be assured that I hope this helps to point many new visitors in your direction.

    http://asthecrackerheadcrumbles.blogspot.com/2013/11/sites-to-see_22.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much. I'm honored to be included.

      Delete
  2. That's some sweet snooping to do. Why must we wait until people are gone to get to know some things about them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does seem that way. I'm not sure if they keep those parts so hidden or if we just don't find time to ask before they are gone. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Comments and feedback are very much appreciated....