Mar 17, 2014

Things to Come

Feast in the House of Simon, 1610, El Greco



Some gaze with love, other's in anger
That she was so bold as to anoint his head.
Yet she seemed not shy nor was there to be a cross word.
He had already drawn their attention away from the harlot.
He announced that one would betray by morning.
As they began to deny, his hand rose to silence them.
It is true, one will betray, and when he does,
this harlot they all judge, will be the one to remain true.
This brought about a silence, an angry undertone.
They each vowed to punish the one who betrays him.
They each vow he will show his affection to them
afterward, and the harlot could go on her way.
She kept washing his feet with her hair.
He kept eating in peace because he knew
of things to come when they did not. 

donetta sifford 3-17-2014

Written for: The Mag 211








14 comments:

  1. Quite an impressive response to the prompt...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by. Glad you liked it.

      Delete
  2. You have focused on the woman Mary as I have and I love your approach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Thank you so much. I'll have to come by and read up on your response.

      Delete
  3. I agree with Cait's comment. I like the change of focus to Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such significance here to Mary makes a very interesting read. I like your approach to the prompt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this and the point of view from Mary Magdlalene.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like how you touch on the emotions in the room...and nicely tie it up at the end..

    ReplyDelete
  7. hmmm. very interesting. I had never thought about the way they may have felt about mary. Interesting interesting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I find Mary's relationship with Jesus very interesting. This is due to one of my favorite authors, Mary Karr, whom has a poem in her poetry book, Viper Rum, where she discusses Mary. Or rather speaks from Mary's point of view.

      Delete
  8. Oh, they couldn't understand yet, could they? But faith goes beyond understanding...

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a wonderful "take" on Mary Magdalene. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for stopping by. I forgot to leave the link to this direct post. I appreciate your comment!

      Delete

Comments and feedback are very much appreciated....