Oct 27, 2014

Afterlife



This week’s visual prompt is an award-winning short film by Whoo Kazoo, Dia De Los Muertos.
Word prompt:
Void (adjective):Completely empty.
(Definition #2)
Visual prompt:

Placed upon their graves were
yellow and orange marigolds.
Celebrating the life they shared
for better or worse, sickness
and health, until death they part.
She held strong to her beliefs,
of meeting on the other side,
joining them forever, afterlife.
A shot of Mezcal for me, 
a shot poured over dirt.
He was a drinker, like me.
The larva promises visions.
Last candle flickers out
as the wind dances tonight.
Closing my eyes, drifting 
into sleep, dreaming 
of them dancing together. 
My void heart filled with love.

donetta sifford 10-27-2014 





4 comments:

  1. You really got so many things right with this story! From the marigolds to the spilled out Mescal, the arc is well done.
    This was a good read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I love learning about new things and I honestly knew nothing about Day of the Dead until this prompt. So I read over some articles about the traditions. I have drank Mezcal and eaten the worm. I had always heard the worm soaks up a lot of alcohol, therefore getting the person drunker. I realize now, I was so drunk by the time I got to the larva, I couldn't possibly get any drunker. lol.

      Delete
  2. I agree with Thom – you tell a big story in just a few well-chosen words. Great take on the prompts, Donetta! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Suzanne. I am enjoying the prompts for this site.

      Delete

Comments and feedback are very much appreciated....