Dec 5, 2014

5 Favorite Christmas Songs?

I have been neglecting both my blogs.  I have, in a way, been neglecting life.  So much going on in 'my constant thoughts'.   I did just catch up on a post by Jen Kehl where she listed a terrific Thanksgiving playlist and although Thanksgiving is gone, her post inspired me to do a Top 5 favorites of Christmas songs.  I do miss her Twisted Mixtape blog hop.  If I had enough followers on this blog, I would want to create a blog hop inspired by hers.  Which would also mean I couldn't neglect my blog. lol. So moving on - here are my Top 5 Favorite Christmas Songs. 



Hearing Elvis sing "Blue Christmas" with his deep southern, blues voice sounds magical to me. 




This 1984 song by Wham has almost become traditional for me.  It's about a breakup around Christmas time, but the beat is great. "Last Christmas"






"All I Want For Christmas is You" has been on my list for many years. One of my best friends bought this the year it came out and every Christmas we have shared, we play the entire collection. Mariah Carey. 





My best friend mentioned above, it's surreal how our friendship has stayed so in sync throughout our lives.  What I mean is this; we both grew up in the same small town, both of us were raised by our grandparents, had been friends since we were 4 years old, and were inseparable until our senior year of high school.  Then we both began in different journeys and a few years went by.  We caught up again when both of us had just moved back to our small town, and we became close again.  On September 12th, 2000, my granny passed away that morning after about a week in the hospital.  One of the most devastating events of my life.  That morning my friend called, I told her what happened, but that I wanted to be alone.  Her granny called to check on me and said she would pray for me although prayers weren't on my list of things I needed.  That night in church, my best friend's granny passed away while receiving the Holy Ghost.  She had been through several open heart surgeries.  I didn't find out until the next morning when my friend pulled in my drive. She got out and I could tell she had been crying all night.  I knew then, she had cried over my loss and my hurt, but something had happened to turn her world upside down.  When she told me, I couldn't and still can't find the words that describe how I felt.  Every word I try, comes off too plain for the emotions.  So, we lost our grannies, who were our mothers really, on the same day.  Maybe so we knew exactly how the other one felt and could lean on one another.
That year, the movie "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" came to theaters.  Not the cartoon.  The movie with Jim Carrey as the Grinch. We went to see it, just to try and occupy our minds.  The words I still can't find on my own, one of the songs in the movie pretty much covered the sadness.  We both bawled then and still tear up.

Faith Hill singing "Where Are You Christmas" 





Thanks for allowing me to share a personal story.  Working on my writing skills, the huge obstacle I face is to shorten my sentences.  Not to babble on and on. My friends all complain about my text messages.  Since I am used to writing poetry, it seems to come natural to leave some words out.  
This next song has been one of my favorites since a child because I loved watching my aunt sing and dance to this while decorating the tree.  
Brenda Lee's "Rockin Around the Christmas Tree"





That does it for my top 5 picks of favorites.  It was hard because I love every genre of music, and therefore have a lot of songs to choose from.  
Feel free to share in the comments your top 5 favorites of Christmas music, or post it on your blog and let people know.  I would enjoy seeing what others list.  




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments and feedback are very much appreciated....