May 20, 2015

Tormenting Memories

artwork by Ulrike Bolenz

Rushing everything
when we're young.
Pushing time,
trying to speed through
our graceless, blundering
teenage years.
Stretching out
until we reach 
our mature, ripened,
grown-up version 
of who we are.
It is then, 
only after failures,
success, 
laughter, tears,
sometimes both,
that we realize
childhood wasn't so harsh.
We long, yearn,
torment our memories,
grasping onto anything
that resembles who we were.
Somewhere along the way,
we left our better selves
frozen in time.
A fallen angel,
forgotten.
Unjaded, 
yet left behind.

Donetta Sifford 5-20-2015
Written for The Mag 270

5 comments:

  1. "Until we reach

    our mature, ripened,

    grown-up version

    of who we are."

    Or - one of my favorite sayings - we grow too soon old and too late smart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How true it is. I remember knowing everything as a teenager, and how I realized I know nothing. lol

      Delete
  2. "Pushing time" I think I've been doing that my whole life. I know exactly what you're talking about it. Also, I can't think of a better way to describe teenage years than "graceless and blundering". Spot on. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teenage years do seem awkward, even to the ones who seem to know the secret to being a teen. I read somewhere about knowledge is knowing we know nothing. I do think I knew more as a teen than I know now. lol. Thank you

      Delete

Comments and feedback are very much appreciated....